Emotional Film Bridges Gap Between Misperceptions and Real Stories of Public Housing.
what we did
The ReThink: Why Housing Matters initiative, created by Cone on behalf of HAI, is built around sharing real, positive examples of people and families in public housing a to educate and encourage the public to “rethink” their views on public housing in their communities. Cone partnered with Jewel and Stillmotion to create a film that emotionally connected the viewer with those who live in public housing. The selected stories showed how public housing can empower residents and take them from a place of feeling lost and alone to one of security and belonging.
“Our Journey Home” launched with a national premiere in New York City in October 2015 with a panel discussion featuring Jewel, film producer, lead character in film and housing industry execs. Currently, the film is playing in theatres nationwide on a 25 city tour.
HOW WE MADE A DIFFERENCE
Digital and Social Media Results:
- 54,800+ views of “Our Journey Home”
- 28,000+ views of the film’s trailer in first six weeks of the film’s launch
- 22,000+ website visits in 2015
- Facebook fans increased by 69% and Twitter followers increased by 84%
- 64+ million impressions and counting, from 40+ media placements and 1,000+ social media posts that were 100% positive in sentiment
- Key placements included segments on “The Meredith Vieira Show,” “Extra TV,” “People NOW” and features in top outlets including Yahoo.com, HuffingtonPost.com, Today.com, SheKnows.com, USMagazine.com and People.com
- Online coverage within the film media space also shared “Our Journey Home” and received positive reactions and reviews from outlets like Planet 5D and No Film School